Edwards Lifesciences VP, Chief Responsibility Officer in Irvine, California
The VP, Chief Responsibility Officer has the primary responsibility for ensuring that all Edwards’ legal entities and business partnerships operate and are compliant with ethical business practices, organization policies, industry standards and legal requirements. This role reports to the CEO and the Audit Committee of the Edwards Board of Directors and serves as the corporate compliance advisor to the CEO, Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors. S/he will ensure that the Edwards’ compliance policies, training, programs and procedures are effective to prevent unethical and illegal conduct, and will oversee investigations, and monitoring and reviews of business activities to ensure compliance with organization policies.
This individual will serve as a strategic thought partner to senior leadership, providing a solutions-oriented approach to achieving strategic business imperatives. S/he is responsible for managing the Global Responsibility organization and chairing the Corporate Compliance Committee. The VP, Chief Responsibility Officer conceives and directs global compliance strategies which foster a strong ethical culture and advance a best-in-class compliance program designed to identify, prevent, detect and correct noncompliance and unethical behavior.
The VP, Chief Responsibility Officer also chairs the Sustainability Council Committee and will help ensure that Edwards’ Corporate Sustainability goals are reflective of the business strategy, and are communicated and accessible to Edwards’ employees, trusted partners and the public, further promoting the Company’s culture, values and commitments.
• Play an active advisory role in corporate decisions in order to maximize Edwards’ overall success.
• Assume overall responsibility for the delivery of ethical compliance programs.
• Advise the company on risk mitigation efforts to ensure consistent standards of business conduct in all aspects of company operations.
• Advise on the formulation of compliance, and governance directives, processes and procedures
• Advise on adherence by Edwards’ operations and legal entities with all industry standards and company policies.
• Foster and exemplify a culture of integrity and good ethical business practices.
• Develop an appropriate sustainability strategy aligned with the business strategies, and lead coordination of the sustainability efforts. Or: Lead’s the sustainability council to ensure that the sustainability strategy is aligned with the business strategy and is appropriately communicated.
• Provide leadership to the Global Corporate Responsibility organization. Attract, develop and/or retain strong talent. Set stretch goals. Assist in career development and succession planning.
• Manage budgets for the corporate compliance and sustainability function.
• Active participation and visible leadership in key industry groups (e.g. ADVAMED, Med Tech Europe, APEC) in order to better understand industry issues and shape industry and/or company strategies, directions, and activities.
The role is based at Edwards’ headquarters in Irvine, CA.
• 15+ years within the medical device industry.
• MBA or related Masters degree required. A Law degree and bar admittance or license to practice law a plus.
• Extensive experience leading global compliance programs.
• Ability to analyze complex compliance, legal and regulated issues – can handle detail, but always sees the issues in the broader strategic context.
• Experience with development and oversight of sustainability programs and reporting a plus.
• Proven ability to advise on formulation of policies and procedures, practice directives, compliance, and governance processes.
• Knowledge of Health Care Professional business processes, monitoring and risk assessment preferred.
• Experience leading a global compliance team.
• Ability to leverage and integrate systems and data analytics to assess compliance results or predict outcomes.
• Creates a sense of urgency throughout the organization regarding the importance of patient needs.
• Fosters a patient-focused environment.
• Gathers input about how choices and actions may impact the business and how they serve patient needs.
• Strategically addresses global events and trends that impact the industry or organization.
• Ensures alignment with the legal, financial, and operational policies of the regions/countries in which the organization operates.
• Cultivates an environment that makes others feel valued, regardless of their background.
• Creates a culture that nurtures and rewards creativity and innovation.
• Challenges the organization to generate and implement breakthrough ideas and solutions.
• Ensures organization-wide adoption of best practices and lessons learned.
• Fosters an environment within the organization that promotes continuous improvement and quality outcomes.
• Builds an environment that emphasizes taking initiative and acting quickly.
• Models enthusiasm and a can-do attitude for the organization.
• Creates an environment of accountability for meeting agreed-upon expectations.
• Holds leaders accountable for the performance of their teams.
• Gets results that have a clear, positive, and direct impact on business performance.
• Creates an organization that is an attractive place to work.
• Creates a culture that emphasizes ongoing learning and development and reinforces its value to the organization.
• Coaches and mentors key talent.
• Sponsors organization-wide initiatives to ensure leadership excellence and ready talent.
• Demonstrates consistency between words and actions, gaining others’ trust.
• Maintains honesty and authenticity and encourages others to do the same.
• Acts in the best interests of others and the organization, even when it conflicts with self-interests.
• Is truthful and transparent, fostering a sense of trust in the organization and its leadership.
The Edwards culture is defined by several key attributes that we will look for in the successful candidate:
• Focus on putting the patient first in everything you do.
• Optimism about taking on big challenges and willingness to take risks to do so.
• An open mind to recognize opportunities and take advantage of surprise findings.
• Personal accountability for failures and a willingness to learn from them.
• Openness to diverse perspectives.
• A bias to the simple rather than the complex.
• Willingness to challenge the status quo.
• A personal sense of urgency and drive.
• Strong sense of integrity and courage of conviction
• Desire to drive change management with attitude of collaboration
Edwards is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer including protected Veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Edwards Lifesciences is the global leader in patient-focused medical innovations for structural heart disease, as well as critical care and surgical monitoring. Driven by a passion to help patients, the company collaborates with the world's leading clinicians and researchers to address unmet healthcare needs, working to improve patient outcomes and enhance lives. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Edwards Lifesciences has extensive operations in North America, Europe, Japan, Latin America and Asia and currently employs over 13,000 individuals worldwide.
For us, helping patients is not a slogan - it's our life's work. From developing devices that replace or repair a diseased heart valve to creating new technologies that monitor vital signs in the critical care setting, we focus on helping patients regain and improve the quality of their life.