Edwards Lifesciences Senior Manager, Engineering - Surgical Structural Heart in Irvine, California
The Senior Manager, Engineering , will manage R&D engineers focused on post approval activities to ensure effective execution, development of employees and protection of design intent. This Senior Manager will report directly to the VP R&D, Surgical Structural Heart.
• Plan and direct complex project activities with large scale or significant business impact with the accountability for successful completion of all project deliverables to the business and develop project plans and schedule, scope, and quality objectives. Lead in identifying risk, developing mitigation strategies, alternative solutions, resolving issues, etc. in collaboration with cross functional groups
• Manage R&D engineers and technicians and oversee R&D work required for products subsequent to reassignment of the project teams involved in the development and initial approval of new products. This position with budgetary responsibilities financial management obligations for the group budget. Develop a robust talent development plan in alignment with functional growth strategies of the department.
• Lead and develop a group of engineers and technicians who will be reporting to this position.
• Provide design recommendations that integrate into complex component(s) or product(s) and have primary responsibility for the design requirements for all Surgical product subsequent to the dissolution of the development team.
• Dedication to Edwards Lifesciences Patient First mission in all decision making
• Frequently interacts with internal and external management and senior-level customer representatives concerning projects, operational decisions, scheduling requirements, and/or contractual clarifications
• Lead briefings and technical meetings for internal and external representatives
• Other incidental duties
• Bachelor's degree in biomedical or mechanical engineering
• 12+ years of experience in medical device R&D, Quality and/or Manufacturing.
• Demonstrated track record in management of technical and/or engineering disciplines
• Proven successful project management leadership skills
• Proven expertise in both Microsoft Office Suite and related systems
• Excellent problem-solving, organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills including high discretion/judgment in decision making / strict attention to detail
• Excellent documentation and communication skills and interpersonal relationship skills including negotiating and relationship management skills with ability to drive achievement of objectives
• Expert understanding of engineering procedures while identifying applications of functional knowledge and existing methodologies to complex problems and aspects of engineering processes and/or systems
• Knowledge of financial acumen as it relates to R&D and Manufacturing
• Demonstrated ability to manage a teams with a high level of technical diversity and a range of experience providing coaching and feedback to guide and enhance their individual development.
• Ability to influence cross-functional partners, business units, and/or sites and may engage with and influence senior management / support and solicit input from team members at all levels
• Ability to develop and integrate metrics into the projects and operations that clearly demonstrate the value of engineering to the business
• Ability to work and excel within a fast paced, dynamic, and constantly changing work environment
• Require the ability to change the thinking of, or gain acceptance from others in sensitive situations, without damage to the relationship
• Develop peer, cross functional and cross business relationships to maximize best practice sharing and team effectiveness.
• Provide leadership and direction to cross-functional teams to successfully implement global enterprise systems and related solutions/ develop relationships and leverage them to influence change
Edwards is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer including protected Veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Edwards Lifesciences is the global leader in patient-focused medical innovations for structural heart disease, as well as critical care and surgical monitoring. Driven by a passion to help patients, the company collaborates with the world's leading clinicians and researchers to address unmet healthcare needs, working to improve patient outcomes and enhance lives. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Edwards Lifesciences has extensive operations in North America, Europe, Japan, Latin America and Asia and currently employs over 15,000 individuals worldwide.
For us, helping patients is not a slogan - it's our life's work. From developing devices that replace or repair a diseased heart valve to creating new technologies that monitor vital signs in the critical care setting, we focus on helping patients regain and improve the quality of their life.