Edwards Lifesciences R&D Director, Engineering - Advanced Technology in Irvine, California
The Advanced Technology Research and Development Director will be integral part of the Innovation team developing new devices and therapies to improve patient lives. The position is responsible for leading and continuously developing a highly skilled staff of development professionals through product development cycles including ideation, technology, and product development. The leader will be responsible for leading development team efforts, coordinating cross-functional partnerships , and ensuring team understanding and accountability to project investments. The position will report to the VP of R&D.
• Develop new platform devices with multiple components that form a system including access, delivery, and implant devices.
Guide and develop team members and staff through product development engineering activities in a manner that leverages cross functional partnerships and skillsets; streamlining activities.
Develop staffing plan, budget, and manage priorities throughout the evolution of development exercises.
Develop subject matter experts and managers to ensure engineering knowledge and business continuity.
• Develop robust talent development and succession planning in alignment with functional growth strategies across Advanced Technology organization
- Drive culture, engage staff morale, and ensure employees' safety and training.
BS in Engineering field is required, Master's or Doctorate degree in Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
A minimum of fifteen (15) years experience with a bachelor’s degree or fourteen years (14) with a master’s degree of demonstrated success providing leadership in medical device organizations.
Strong technical knowledge and execution skills with a demonstrated ability to test product concepts that are clinically usable.
Direct prior experience with structural heart therapy products and/or catheter based interventional products inclusive of design as well as test protocol experience required.
Experience working with key opinion leaders in the field to identify market requirements, industry and regulatory partners.
Strong interpersonal skills and people management skills. High emotional intelligence.
Displays broad perspective and effective judgment, demonstrates well-reasoned problem solving and decision-making.
Builds a shared vision; inspires others to action; sets clear direction; establishes plans consistent with that direction.
Demonstrates a sense of urgency; understands the importance of outperforming and outpacing the competition in meeting customer and patient needs.
Ability to work in a matrix organization and lead cross functional teams.
• Demonstrated track record of successfully bringing complex, non-derivative platform medical devices to clinical investigation and ultimately market approval.
Demonstrated expertise in implant and delivery systems.
Ability to work and excel within a fast paced, dynamic, and constantly changing work environment
• Demonstrated ability to direct teams and provide coaching and feedback, including responsibility for all employee actions including hire/fire authority and partnering with HR on all aspects of employee relations
• Ability to interact professionally with all organizational levels and proactively escalate issues to appropriate levels of management in the organization
• Conduct business and technical briefings for senior and top management and for external representatives
Edwards is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer including protected Veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Edwards Lifesciences is the global leader in patient-focused medical innovations for structural heart disease, as well as critical care and surgical monitoring. Driven by a passion to help patients, the company collaborates with the world's leading clinicians and researchers to address unmet healthcare needs, working to improve patient outcomes and enhance lives. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Edwards Lifesciences has extensive operations in North America, Europe, Japan, Latin America and Asia and currently employs over 15,000 individuals worldwide.
For us, helping patients is not a slogan - it's our life's work. From developing devices that replace or repair a diseased heart valve to creating new technologies that monitor vital signs in the critical care setting, we focus on helping patients regain and improve the quality of their life.