Edwards Lifesciences Principal R&D Engineer - Implant Systems in Irvine, California
This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional R&D engineering professional with in-depth experience to join a fast-paced, early product development team in Edwards Lifesciences’ Advanced Technology (AT) Division. AT is dedicated to innovating the future and developing new technologies based on identified needs in Structural Heart Disease to transform treatment and significantly improve patients’ lives.
This Principal Engineer will provide expertise in the optimization of product development.
• Implantable medical device development. Initiate and lead in the improvement, design and optimization of highly complex experiments and tests, analyze results, provide complex recommendations, and develop reports, based on engineering principles that translate to innovative products
• Generate work instructions, test methods, engineering models and drawings/prototypes, etc., to establish/characterize product and/or process specifications
• Oversee R&D support tasks; give instruction to technicians/engineers on conducting tests; train technicians/engineers and provide feedback; and coordinate technician/engineer work.
• May lead cross functional teams through complex design control activities including requirement specs, and risk documents with substantial knowledge on design control requirements
• Develop project plans to assess complex technology and drive project results
• Provide direction and guidance on strategies related to technical solution areas
• Proactively identify issues, achieve resolution, and resolve problems of highly significant complexity on designing parts, components and subsystems
• Train, coach, and guide lower level employees on more complex procedures
• Other incidental duties
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in in Engineering or Scientific field , minimum of 8 years’ experience of experience, including either industry or industry/education Required or
Master's Degree or equivalent in in Engineering or Scientific field , minimum of 7 years’ experience of experience, including either industry or industry/education Required or
Ph.D. or equivalent in in Engineering or Scientific field , minimum of 6 years’ experience of experience, including either industry or industry/education Required
• Experienced in developing implantable medical device systems. Self-expanding devices preferred.
• Excellent documentation and communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal relationship skills including negotiating and relationship management skills
• Recognized as an expert in own area within the organization
• Expert knowledge and understanding of principles, theories, and concepts relevant to Engineering
• Advanced problem-solving, organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills
• Expert understanding of processes and equipment used in assigned work
• Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to influence change
• Knowledge of and adherence to Edwards Environmental Health and Safety and Quality guidelines as they relate to department clean room medical device manufacturing
• Strict attention to detail
• Ability to interact professionally with all organizational levels
• Ability to manage competing priorities in a fast paced environment
• Represents organization as key technical contact on contracts and projects
• Interacts with senior external representatives on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations
• Adhere to all EHS rules and requirements and take adequate control measures in preventing injuries to themselves and others as well as to the protection of environment and prevention of pollution under their span of influence/control
Edwards is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer including protected Veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Edwards Lifesciences is the global leader in patient-focused medical innovations for structural heart disease, as well as critical care and surgical monitoring. Driven by a passion to help patients, the company collaborates with the world's leading clinicians and researchers to address unmet healthcare needs, working to improve patient outcomes and enhance lives. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Edwards Lifesciences has extensive operations in North America, Europe, Japan, Latin America and Asia and currently employs over 15,000 individuals worldwide.
For us, helping patients is not a slogan - it's our life's work. From developing devices that replace or repair a diseased heart valve to creating new technologies that monitor vital signs in the critical care setting, we focus on helping patients regain and improve the quality of their life.